Are you looking for Business Development jobs in Wellington? If you are in the middle of a job search you will know that there are a lot of companies looking for business development managers or sales representatives. That’s really good news! However, it does also mean that a lot of candidates will be applying for the same jobs, which means competition.
How to stand out from the crowd in BDM?
Having an outstanding resume is the best possible reflection you can offer a recruiter. It’s so important for you as a candidate to make your resume stand out. Be sure to include:
- A strong opening statement or summary – What makes you unique? What can you offer an organization that someone else can’t?
- List your key achievements – Perhaps you successfully handled all administrative functions when a new company was starting up. Noting this will make an impression far better than just a basic work history. If you have done something impressive why not show it off?
- Add ‘key words’ – Many Recruitment Consultants and companies scan resumes for specific words and phrases. Try to use some of the language that is in the job ad, as long as it accurately reflects your background. For example, if a Recruitment Consultant or employer is looking for someone who can generate leads and cold call prospective customers be sure to note this in your resume if you have the experience.
- Note down any program proficiencies – by listing you have previous experience with a program such as Salesforce gives you an edge on your resume. The more skills you have to offer the more appealing your application will be
As a job seeker, you can’t afford to ignore the digital extension of your professional self. Prospective employers, recruiters and companies will most often than not search for you online. If you have a LinkedIn profile, it’s very likely to be the first result they find. If you have an account take some time to freshen it up, if you don’t have one we strongly recommend you set on up! To optimize your profile be sure to:
- Add a current, clear and professional profile picture
- Write a ‘grabby’ headline that sums up your skills, experience, highlight specialisations and what you can offer. Here is your chance to publicly share how you’re different!
- List any links to things you may have worked on previously as examples of your work. Update your employment history to focus on your achievements and projects that you have worked on.
- Add professional skills and have others endorse you (that can confirm your skills) and this will boost your profile.
Prepare, prepare and prepare some more!
There are so many things to prepare for its easy to get overwhelmed. Remember to keep in mind the following:
- Look the part – personal presentation is very important. If you’re attending a job interview for a Business Development position you wouldn’t dress as if you’re going to the gym or for a night out. This may seem obvious but you would be surprised!
- Research the company – know who you are applying to so that you can tailor your resume and be a step ahead if you are invited for an interview
- Stay organised – if you are in the process of job seeking you will of course be applying for more than one position. By keeping a note of who you have applied with will help you when you receive a call to discuss your application. You can also prepare answers for interview questions and relaxing techniques for nerves during interviews
What industries do we recruit for?
As a generalist recruitment agency, we have experience across the board! Head to our ‘jobs board’ to find your next career opportunity. While you’re there pay our ‘job seeker help center’ a visit for some more advice and tips. We also connect to job seekers and clients via our ‘Facebook page’ so head over and give us a like to keep in touch with the most current job opportunities available in Melbourne.
Another great thing about The Recruitment Alternative is that we operate New Zealand wide. So not only in Wellington but also in Auckland, Hamilton, Christchurch etc. We can offer you affordable recruitment solutions at a low-cost price point that makes sense. If you would like to find out more about our services contact us today on 0800 587 546.